So, in an effort to get my life together, I’m trying to get better with meal planning. My
current old plan was buy meat, veggies and a few fillers, and see what I come up with.
I felt like I was making my go-to staples all the time with a few new things splashed in for good measure. The crazy part is I like to cook and I love reading recipes. Like, I seriously can read a cookbook like it’s a bestseller. I know, I’m such a nerd.
In a previous cooking post you may remember I said I like cook. Don’t remember? Here it is here. However, I don’t want to spend hours slaving in the kitchen. It just so happens that I went to a book sale and found a cookbook with 20, 30 and 40 minute meals in it. That’s my kind of cooking! I make a few things from scratch, but the way my life and time is set up, I’m all about buying pre-made items and jazzing them up.
After looking at the recipes in the book, I decided to meal plan/create a menu for a week. Yikes! I missed cooking on Monday due to being busy, so I started on Tuesday. My first dish in meal planning was Cajun chicken tortellini and it was delish–sorry, forgot to snap a pic of it.
Day 2 was this amazing dish here:
This was a 40 minute meal, which doesn’t bother me at all when it’s simple to make, and this salmon over asparagus, mushrooms and tomatoes in a white wine sauce was divine! I added couscous for the side dish.
The hardest thing so far has been grocery shopping. I like to shop, but it is exhausting shopping for a weeks worth of food AND tote an infant around while doing it. I had to do my shopping in two trips!
Anyway, here is the recipe for the salmon dish
- 4 fresh or frozen skinless salmon fillets, about 1 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (large)
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup clam juice or chicken broth
- 2 cups of asparagus cut in 1½ inch pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook mushrooms in 1 tbs hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add onion, garlic and thyme; cook until mushrooms are tender. Add wine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced to ¼ cup.
- Add clam juice. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes more or until liquid is reduced to ¾ cup. Add asparagus.
- Cook, covered, 3 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, parsley and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- In the same skillet cook salmon in remaining 1 tbs hot oil over medium heat for 4-6 minutes per ½-inch thickness of salmon or until salmon flakes when tested with a fork, turning once. Serve salmon over vegetable mixture.