We’re homies, right? Good because I have to be honest with you.
I kind of had a Pinterest-like fail on this new recipe. Well, it wasn’t a total loss, really. I’ll explain more on that later. Any who, from my previous recipe post you know I like to cook. However, I’m trying to up my game in the kitchen. I feel like I’m always making the same things.
The hubby doesn’t complain, so I guess that’s good, but still. I haven’t yet mastered meal planning. I’ll go to the grocery store and buy meat, but rarely do I have a plan for it.
For instance, this baked garlic Parmesan wings came about because I bought a pack of chicken wingettes on quick sale, but didn’t know what to do with them.
Thanks to my friend Google, I stumbled upon this recipe. I loved it because 1. the wings are baked and not fried. 2. I had most of the ingredients and 3. I could prep and cook it while the baby napped. Score!
I needed a few of the ingredients, so I headed to the store. I love cheese, like L-O-V-E. When the original recipe called for grated Parmesan, I’m thinking thinking a block on a grater, right? Well, since I don’t have time for that I just picked up a bag of finely shredded Parmesan in the refrigerator section.
Welp, when I get home and re-read the directions and look at the pictures, it dawns on me the author was talking about the powdered Parmesan that comes in the green can. Doh! It’s a minor mistake, BUT it still turned out fine. That’s the beauty of cooking, you can mess up but not have a mess if that makes sense.
The hubby liked them. I liked them and that’s all that matters. When I make them again I will try it with the powdered parm to compare the two, but eh, c’est la vie! I also made some other tweaks like adding habanero powder for kick and swapping out the blue cheese dressing for ranch when making the dipping sauce.
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt (1/2 tsp table salt)
- 2½ pounds chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or melted butter)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt (like Lawry's)
- 1 cup ranch dressing ( you can also use blue cheese)
- 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- (optional) ¼ tsp habanero powder
- Preheat oven to 425F. In a small bowl, mix together the oregano, rosemary, cumin and salt. Lay the chicken wings on a baking sheet and season the chicken wings with this mixture.
- Bake the chicken wings for 20-25 ( I cooked mine for 35 to get them brown) minutes. While the chicken is baking, mix together the oil, fresh basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese and seasoning salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ranch dressing with the mustard (this is your dipping sauce)
- When the chicken is cooked through, toss the wings with the garlic/cheese/olive oil (or butter) sauce. Serve with the blue cheese or ranch/mustard dressing.